The unofficial archives of Tiverton Town Football Club

Tiverton Town 1 - 2 Bath City

Wednesday 30/11/2005   Southern League Cup
Chris Bell

League Cup competitions at all levels of football are generally viewed with scant regard. It was therefore fitting that Tiverton reserved their poorest home performance of the season for this 1-2 Errea Cup reverse at the hands of local rival Bath City. Fowler started in place of the recovering Booth with Milsom and Croft back at the heart of the defence.

From the kick off Bath were into their stride with Partridge and Walsh causing problems with their pace‚ movement off the ball and inter passing. However‚ it was Tivvy who mounted the first serious threat as Fowler played a good 1-2 before hammering in a shot Shuttlewood could only deflect for a corner. Normal service was soon resumed with Partridge beating Milsom all too easily on the goal line and cutting in to see his shot saved‚ and the same player then getting behind the defence only to be denied by a good tackle from Fowler. On 13 minutes the pressure inevitably told when a Bath corner to the edge of the area was headed across to Partridge on the six yard box and unmarked he headed the ball into the net.

With only 20 minutes gone Dodge went for the “Grantham“ strategy bringing on Nogan in place of Croft but this made little difference. Bath were at least a yard faster‚ the home team´s passing was woeful and Walsh was winning every aerial challenge up front. In fact the No 9 had the ball in the net only for it to be ruled out for offside. Then it was Partridge selling Davies an outrageous dummy before putting Walsh in again only to be denied by a superb challenge by a charging Ovendale. Tivvy were to be in the big man´s debt on many occasions throughout the game. Tivvy were then gifted an unlikely equaliser when Shuttleworth made two poor clearances the second of which Mudge picked up‚ held off one defender‚ beat another and fired in a cross shot.

Any thoughts that his might settle Tivvy were dashed from the restart with Partridge quickly setting up a double chance that a save and the post kept out. The same player continued to give Milsom a difficult time and it was he who ten minutes in fired in a shot that Ovendale did well to deflect‚ but it ran to Harris who had a simple tap in to make it 2-1. The miss of the night swiftly followed when two Bath players clear on Ovendale contrived to fire in a shot that went for a throw in.

Tivvy threatened briefly when a deep cross was met on the volley by Mudge‚ but although it knocked Shuttleworth back he kept the ball out. The general standard of the game then subsided from an already poor level with Tivvy seemingly unable to find their men or retain possession. When a side gives away the ball as much as Tivvy did there can only be one outcome a defence under constant pressure. Tired legs were replaced with Hambly and Goff coming on to replace Milsom and Fowler.

Mudge and Nogan did combine well to put Pears in but the keeper redeemed his earlier mistake by blocking the shot. Back came Bath with Walsh in again on Ovendale and another fine save made. With minutes remaining Gardner found Pears on the right and his cross was met by Nogan on the six-yard box with a powerful header. Shuttleworth then earned himself MOM from all 252 spectators as he made an instinctive point blank save and rescued everyone from having to endure 30 minutes of extra time.

That the score was restricted to 1-2 had much to do with Bath´s profligacy in front of goal and yet another inspiring performance from Ovendale who somehow failed to win MOM.

This report ©2005 Chris Bell