The unofficial archives of Tiverton Town Football Club

Walton Casuals 3 - 2 Tiverton Town

Saturday 16/04/2022   Southern League Premier Division
Paul Gray

A much changed Tiverton Town side due to injury and suspension got the game underway against a Walton Casuals side who were looking to do the double over them. The first real chance of the game came in the third minute when Walton were awarded a free kick about ten yards outside the box. But the resulting kick went straight into the arms of Tivvy keeper Jimmy Weeks. Two minutes later and Walton number three Daniel Rowe headed just wide of the Tivvy goal with  the home side looking the sharper of the two teams.

Tivvy's first real chance came when Nelson Iseguan went on a run down the line and played in Orlando Anker who found Theo Simpson in the box but his shot was blocked and cleared away by the home defence. Walton were seeing more of the attacking play and had several corners but couldn't  take advantage of them. Then on twenty minutes Walton number nine Jordy Mongoy went on a run down the line and cut into the box  and his low shot across the Tivvy box found the back of the net to put Walton 1-0 up. Three minutes later and Tarik Moore made it 2-0 as the home side took control of the game. Tiverton nearly got back in the game when a Dan Hayfield shot was goal bound until Collins in the Walton goal pulled off a great save. Tivvy's  best chance of the half fell to Alfie Pond but his header was again saved by Collins. With five minutes remaining of the half Mongoy got his second and Walton's third to make the halftime score 3-0 to the home side.

Walton got the second half underway and a early chance fell to Mongoy who was looking for his hattrick but his shot looped just over the Tiverton bar. The home side had started the half brightly but on fithty four minutes a Dan Hayfield header got one back for Tiverton to make it 3-1. On sixty minutes Tiverton were awarded a free kick on the edge of the Walton box in a central position. Up stepped Chris Shephard who curled his kick around the wall and beat the keeper but  the ball hit the crossbar and bounced down onto the goal line and was cleared away by the Walton defence. Tiverton were convinced the ball had crossed the line but the linesman wasn't having any of it. On sixty three minutes Dan Hayfield was brought down in the penalty area and Tiverton were awarded a penalty. Louis Morison  stepped up and sent the keeper the wrong way to make it 3-2 and Tivvy were right back in the game. Tiverton went looking for the equaliser and a Joe Belsten shot was well saved by Collins.

Next Jordan Lam beat three Walton defenders before seeing his shot saved. With seven minutes remaining Tiverton made a change with Jin Heon replacing Chris Shephard.  The home side then made a couple of changes as they tried to run down the clock. The referee indicated that there would be five minutes of added on time and with two of those minutes gone Theo Simpson was through on goal after a great pass from Kyle Egan and looked odds on to get Tiverton's third goal but he shot straight into the arms of the goalie and the chance was gone.In the ninety fifth minute Dan Hayfield hit a shot that the keeper never saw but again Tivvy were denied by the crossbar  and this was the last kick of the match as the referee blew for full time.

This report ©2022 Paul Gray