The unofficial archives of Tiverton Town Football Club

Poole Town 1 - 2 Tiverton Town

Tuesday 13/08/2019   Southern League Premier Division
Simon Ellis

It was all about the ‘magic’ number 3 in the latest fixture as the Yellows had to come from behind to pick up their first win of the season. 3 red cards, 3 goals but most importantly from a Yellows point of view 3 points at arguably the ground of one of the best teams in the division and just for the record, a first ever win in seven attempts over the Dolphins.

A goal down at the break in slightly controversial circumstances, Poole captain Jamie Whisken fired home from a corner in the fifth minute of added on time when only two had been signalled before a trio of dismissals in the second half, two for the hosts and Nancekivell for the Yellows threatened to upset the evening but the Yellows eventually made their numerical advantage count and drew level two minutes from the end of the ninety through Jordan Dyer before an emphatically despatched stoppage time penalty from captain River Allen completed the turnaround.

The first half appeared to be drawing to a relatively uneventful conclusion, apart from the caution handed out to Jez Bedford for a completely unnecessary foul on Koszela which would ultimately come back to haunt him and the goal Man of the Match Nick Grimes had chalked off for a foul in the build up, until referee Robinson awarded Poole a corner deep in to stoppage time and from which, following some defensive pinball, Jamie Whisken smashed home the opening goal.

Previous years sides may have crumbled under such misfortune but not the current crop of stars who, whilst relatively new to one another, clearly believe and trust their ability to play and at the start of the second period they were given a huge helping hand as Bedford picked up his second caution of the night for a foul on Grimes and sent for an early shower. Chances were coming and it seemed only a matter of time before the Yellows drew level but it took an excellent save from Williams to keep the deficit at just one before Nancekivell, who picked up two bookings, followed Bedford for the second dismissal of the night. Referee Robinson was not done yet and the red card appeared for a third time on the night when Ollie Dennett was given a straight red for a dangerous challenge on Shephard before the final dramas of the evening unfolded.

Louis Jagger Cane had only been on the pitch a matter of minutes after replacing Shephard before he played a huge part in getting the Yellows back on terms as his run down the left and cross found Dyer unmarked on the edge of the area and the young full back curled, left footed, a great effort past Cairney with just two minutes left of the ninety.

Five minutes of injury time were signalled and sensing there was more left in the match the Yellows continued to pour forward and were rewarded for their endeavour as Jordan Bastin was sent tumbling in the area giving referee Robinson no alternative other than to point to the spot and from twelve yards River Allen sent the small gathering of away fans delirious with the stoppage time winner.

Tiverton Town: Lewis Williams, Jordan Dyer, Noah Smerdon, George Nancekivell, Michael Landricombe, Nick Grimes, Steve Colwell (Tyler Elliott 72), River Allen, Jared Lewington, Olaf Koszela (Jordan Bastin 67), Chris Shephard (Louis Jagger Cane 85)
Goals: Jordan Dyer 88, River Allen 90+2

Attendance: 402

This report ©2019 Simon Ellis