The unofficial archives of Tiverton Town Football Club

Royal Marines 0 - 3 Tiverton Town

Tuesday 11/01/2011   Devon St Luke's Cup
Tivvy Archive

Tiverton Town eased into the quarter-finals of the Devon Cup with a comfortable yet uninspiring victory against Royal Marines. Liam Ellis set the Yellows on their way with an early goal, Colin Marshall doubled the lead from the spot just before half time, and Adam Mortimer completed the scoring late on.

Town were once again without a host of players and gave a debut to Under 18s starlet Owen Howe, the striker becoming the youngest player to turn out for the first team just a few months after his sixteenth birthday. Howe partnered Mortimer up front with Michael Nardiello still suffering from a virus and Joe Bushin cup-tied, while the midfield and defence had a more familiar look despite missing Russell Jee, Ed Palmer, Ryan Turner and the nomadic Jamie Hatch.

With just three minutes played Tiverton broke the deadlock. Marshall’s free kick was only half cleared and Ellis, employed for the evening on the left wing, was given time and space to bring the ball under control and fire in a deft shot from twenty yards that swerved beyond the reach of the Marines goalkeeper Chris Garnsworthy.

The strike didn’t deflate the visiting side and they ground out their fair share of chances in the first half with Chris Wright making saves to deny Stuart Morgan and then Dan Boere, the latter save an excellent piece of alert goalkeeping. George Robinson might have tied the game midway through the first half but his audacious volley went just wide, while Ellis and Mortimer both had chances for Tiverton.

A minute before the break Tivvy increased their advantage when Adam Fowler handled David Steele’s shot and Marshall fired the penalty consummately past Garnsworthy, a justice of sorts as Fowler has not long before escaped any punishment for a more blatant hand ball when he palmed away a goal-bound near-post flick from Steele.

With Tivvy well in command there was little excitement in a second half that was played out in an ever-decreasing temperature. Tom Gardner headed Marshall’s free kick at Garnsworthy, the Marines ’keeper saved smartly at his near post to keep out Mortimer, and a host of substitutions didn’t have a great effect on the pattern, or rather lack of pattern as the game degenerated into something of a non-event.

Mortimer, however, did finally break through five minutes from the end, capitalising on some careless defending to hammer a shot past Garnsworthy to wrap up a tie that had not really been in doubt since the change of ends. And in added time substitute Tobi Ibukun found the back of the net some time after the whistle had been blown to signal the Town forward offside. Ibukun was given a yellow card for his troubles but it was a caution that few will lose any sleep over.. Tiverton progress to the last eight and a tie against Ivybridge Town.

Royal Marines: Chris Garnsworthy, Adam Fowler (Chris Duchenski 51), Ben Clay, Dan Fox, Jason O’Brien (Danny Burwood 73), Crease, Dan Boere, George Robinson, Stuart Morgan, Simon Bochenski (Bowhay 64), Lloyd Gardner
Booked: Clay 40, Fowler 44, Morgan 54
Sent off: None

Tiverton Town: Chris Wright, Adam Faux, Alex Faux, Colin Marshall (Kevin Hill 78), Jak Martin, Tom Gardner, Ian Sampson (Nathan Walter 73), David Steele, Adam Mortimer, Owen Howe (Tobi Ibukun 84), Liam Ellis
Goals: Ellis 3, Marshall 44p, Mortimer 86
Booked: Ibukun 90+1
Sent off: None

Attendance: 89

This report ©2011 Tivvy Archive