The unofficial archives of Tiverton Town Football Club

Chesham United 5 - 0 Tiverton Town

Saturday 04/09/2010   Southern League Premier Division
Tivvy Archive

It has been a long time coming, and it is a record Tiverton Town has no reason to be proud of, but the Yellows fell to a second consecutive 5-0 defeat on the road at newly promoted and high-flying Chesham United. Thee goals in a fourteen minute spell leading up to half time undid the hard work that Tiverton had put in early in the game, and the scoreline took on a rather flattering look when United scored twice at the death.

In one of those quirky games it was flattering to the hosts even at the interval with all three goals having an element of misfortune from a Tiverton perspective. The first came from the penalty spot when Tom Gardner won a challenge and Chesham forward Gabriel Fanibuyan fell down as if he had learnt his trade at Truro, Danny Talbot crashing home the penalty.

Goal two was even more controversial as Chesham broke down the right after Chris Elsegood had beaten Liam Ellis in the air and rammed his elbow into the Tivvy player’s face, leaving Ellis with a war wound that would requite ten minutes of patching up. Steve Wales, seemingly oblivious, raced down the wing and crossed for Fanibuyan to tap home at the far post, Ellis was bloody, battered and furious.

United’s third goal came just a minute or two before the break and was not in the least controversial but it was extremely lucky as Chris Bangura scuffed a weak shot with his left foot that was trickling through to Ryan Draper before it took a wicked deflection, wrong-footed the Tivvy goalkeeper and crept slowly into the opposite corner.

And that was the points in the bag for the Generals. Two debateable goals, one fluke and a three-goal cushion which allowed them to play conservatively in the second half and wait to pick off the Tiverton defence with pace and purpose.

Before all of this Tiverton could have been ahead and cruising but Joe Bushin nodded a header off target and Russell Jee picked up on a loose ball after Ellis had seen a free kick blocked by the defensive wall, but the crossbar saved Chesham when goalkeeper Shane Gore couldn’t.

Bangura headed over and should have scored early in the second half, Wales pulled a shot wide and the home side were having fun. Fifteen minutes from time Jamie Densham had a sniff after a sublime cross field pass from Tom Gardner but Gore made a diving save low to his right, and John Kyriacou was denied when Draper saved sharply.

With the game petering out Chesham struck twice with direct plays that exposed a Tivvy defence that had been reduced from four to three in an attempt to pressure the hosts higher up the pitch. Dave Fotheringham netted number four after rounding Draper, picking his spot and beating Gardner on the line, and in added time Wales put the ribbons on a fine individual performance by racing from deep inside his own half to send a low show into the bottom corner of the net.

Chesham United: Shane Gore, John Kyriacou, Chris Elsegood, Mark Lambert, Robert Bartley (Sam Ledger 77), Danny Talbot, Dave Fotheringham, Steve Wales, Leon Archer (Dom Marsala 80), Chris Bangura, Gabriel Fanibuyan (Steve Obeng 74)
Goals: Talbot 29p, Fanibuyan 36, Bangura 43, Fotheringham 87, Wales 90+2
Booed: None
Sent off: None

Tiverton Town: Ryan Draper, Perry Carpenter (Dean Coppard 77), Chris Vinnicombe (Adam Mortimer 55), Liam Ellis, Jak Martin, Tom Gardner, David Steele (Ian Sampson 68), Russell Jee, Joe Bushin, Jamie Densham, Alex
Booked: None
Sent off: None

Attendance: 340

This report ©2010 Tivvy Archive