The unofficial archives of Tiverton Town Football Club

Corby Town 1 - 0 Tiverton Town

Saturday 12/04/2008   Southern League Premier Division
Tivvy Archive

Will Gardner returned to the side after missing the match at Yate through illness and replaced Danny O’Brien at right wing-back with Jason Hughes keeping his place in the centre of defence, but otherwise there were no changes to the Tiverton side that were beaten at Lodge Road two weeks earlier. Corby made the early running and came close to edging ahead twice inside the first ten minutes. Liam Nicell, who scored earlier in the season at Ladysmead as Corby came from two goals behind to secure a draw fired goalwards early on but Gardner hacked the shot clear, and Martin Wormall shot wide of the target as the Steelmen started positively in their fight again relegation. Tivvy seldom looked like threatening to open up their host’s defence and the nearest they came to scoring in the first half was when Matty Bye’s corner from the left was deflected a foot wide of the upright. A second corner in quick succession saw Hughes meet Chris Vinnicombe’s centre with a downwards header but Phil Watt kept his defensive position just inside the far post and was in the perfect place to boot the ball away from danger.

Daniel French’s shot on the turn bobble wide as Corby pressed, while Matt Villis made a fine recovering tackle just as Nicell was about to pull the trigger inside the penalty area, and the Northamptonshire side eventually broke the deadlock and took a deserved lead after 33 minutes. Old-timer Tony Battersby crossed from the right where Rob Hughes was waiting. The midfielder fluffed his header and the ball bounced across the face of goal and out wide on the left. French was the quickest to react and placed a low cross back to Hughes who had an easy task of placing the ball wide of Martin Horsell to send the partisan home support into raptures.

Villis saw a hopeful shot loop off a defender and into the arms of Corby goalkeeper Lee Crockett as Tiverton went in at half time trailing, and there was little improvement in the early stages of the second half. Bye and Bobby Hopkinson both fired wildly wide from distance as did Chris Glarvey at the other end, and it wasn’t until Paul Wyatt was introduced to the action that the Yellows started looking more progressive. It was Wyatt’s cross that led to Town’s beast chance of the match, but Gardner’s header at the far post was cleared off the line by Robbie Maddox, while Crockett made a magnificent save from Bye’s curling free kick with twenty minutes remaining.

As Tivvy chased the game so the spaces started appearing and Corby could and should have increased their advantage on a number of occasions. Hughes pulled a shot just wide after outpacing Vinnicombe while Wormall was guilty of only coming up with a pitifully weak shot when well placed. Villis kept Tiverton hopes alive with another last-gasp challenge, but the home side defended stoically yet not desperately and were able to see out the closing stages without Crockett being forced back into action. On this form it is difficult to see where Tiverton’s next goal will come from, while if Corby play their final two games in a similarly style then they should be able to avoid the dreaded drop.

Corby Town: Lee Crockett; Phil Watt (James Gould 68), Robbie Maddox, Adam Jones, Steve Julian, Chris Glarvey, Liam Nicell, Rob Hughes, Tony Battersby, Martin Wormall (Ian Nimmo 89), Daniel French

Goals: Hughes 33

Booked: Wormall 24, Maddox 52

Sent Off: None

Tiverton Town: Martin Horsell; Jason Hughes (Paul Wyatt 65), Chris Vinnicombe, Matt Villis, Adam Faux, Will Gardner (Glenn Gould 87), Matty Bye, Tom Knighton (Ed Weeks 82), Simon Bochenski, Bobby Hopkinson, Radley Veale

Booked: Knighton 52

Sent Off: None

Attendance: 263

This report ©2008 Tivvy Archive