The unofficial archives of Tiverton Town Football Club

Tiverton Town 1 - 0 Clevedon Town

Saturday 22/12/2007   Southern League Premier Division
Tivvy Archive

Tiverton’s final game before overeating turkey was against their most local of rivals Clevedon Town, and having surrendered a couple of points three days earlier there were questions as to whether they had the mental capacity to hold out once noses were in front. In complete contrast to the midweek game just past the Yellows stood up for the whole game, and picked up a crucial three points thanks to Simon Bochenski’s poached goal just after the interval.

The Seasiders had the better of the opening exchanges, but Will Gardner was moved forward into midfield to match Clevedon’s four across the middle after twenty minutes and from that point on Tivvy were the better side. Paul Hinshelwood had already hacked away an effort from Matt Prosser when he broke forward and created an opening for Dan Bulley. The forwards fine angled header was bound for the goal until Kyle Bassett’s timely interception, and Danny Greaves did well to palm Hinshelwood’s low drive around the post just a minute later.

For the away side chances were at a premium, although former Tivvy player Danny Haines, merrily scampering up and down the left win, did tee up Kris Leek, but the latter’s shot was saved well by Ray Johnston. The first half ended without score, the final chance falling to Gardner although he was only able to head wide from a left flank corner.

There was an element of good fortune about Tiverton’s goal at the beginning of the second half, and perhaps this was a sign that our luck is on the turn. Chris Vinnicombe, reliable as ever, never flash swung in a corner from the right which was only half cleared. Bulley cracked in a shot which struck the post with Greaves flat on his feet, and Tom Knighton then saw his effort pinball around of a plethora of legs. Eventually the ball found it’s was to the patiently waiting Bochenski, and into the back of the net via his right boot.

Clevedon wrung the changes as they were forced to press forward, but this time the Yellows were able to hold on, and with relative ease at that. Haines was well off target with a free kick, and Danny O’Brien, on one his frequent gallivants forward linked up nicely with Bochenski and Bulley only to be denied by Greaves. At the other end Mike Symons was unable to find a way past Johnston, but Clevedon posed little threat to the Town goal, and Vinnicombe’s free kick which sailed over with ten minutes left to play was the last meaningful chance at either end, but for a teasing corner from the Seasiders that the same player hacked away from danger.

Tiverton Town: Ray Johnston; Danny O’Brien, Chris Vinnicombe, Matt Villis, Nathan Rudge, Will Gardner (Ed Weeks 84), Tom Knighton (Paul Wyatt 90), Paul Hinshelwood, Simon Bochenski, Darren Mullings, Daniel Bulley

Goals: Bochenski 48

Booked: O’Brien 90

Sent Off: None

Clevedon Town: Danny Greaves; Mike Green, Danny Haines, Rob Scott, Scott Hendy, Mike Trought, Kyle Bassett, Kris Leek (Josh Bingham 65), Matt Prosser, Steve Cook, Mitchell Page (Mike Symons 65)

Booked: Trought 82

Sent Off: None

Attendance: 273

This report ©2007 Tivvy Archive